Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trip to the Zoo





Today, I gave up sleeping to go with Avery and Hannah on their Kindergarten and 5th Grade buddies trip to the zoo. I worked midnight shift, came home, got them and myself ready and off we were to the zoo....I crashed for 2 hours after I got home at 2 o'clock. It was a beautiful day for their field trip and the 5th graders do such a WONDERFUL job being "buddies" with their Kindergarteners. It is a year long program at their school and I'm not sure who enjoys it more, the 5th graders or the Kindergarteners. During the year, the 5th Graders visit their Kindergarten buddy every Friday and help them read simple books, assist them in doing part of their "centers" work for the day. They make each other cards for holidays and they really truly bond. Avery was lucky enough to have two buddies, both boys. Both very nice, helpful and smart young men. Hannah (my 5th grader) had a Kindergarten friend of Avery's for her buddy. So it was a twofer trip today! Here's some pics of our fun!

4 comments:

A splash of Sherry said...

What a great day for a trip to the zoo. And how cool was it that you got to go with two of your girls.

meganklauer said...

That is such a great idea to have older "buddies"! I wish every school would do that! We could have used that for my little guy at the beginning of the year!

Christine said...

I agree Megan! It's wonderful, gives the kindergartners someone to look up to and shadow (behavior and otherwise) and it teaches the older kids compassion and responsibility. :o)

The Grissoms' Page said...

I LOVE the zoo - and that buddy idea is great!! Fun pics too!